How do I Update a Nodinite Log Database?
Keep Nodinite updated since we constantly improve the product with new features, strengthened security and bug fixes, ensuring you get the best experience working with Nodinite.
You must execute the steps below as the Logging Service account or with an account assigned the sysadmin role.
If you are part of the SYSADMIN fixed server role on all instances hosting a Log Database, you should have sufficient rights to execute the update steps.
- Start with selecting the Environment to update:
Example list of installed Environments; select the one to update.
The Manual update button is not on the screen if there is no mandatory update available. Otherwise, use the small "..." button to open the modal for optional updates.
The script has two paths, one for the SQLPackage.exe executable and the second is about the .DACPAC file.
- If you execute the update script on another server, you can click the download button to get the proper .DACPAC file.
You must change the path content if you intend to execute the script on another server; please revise and verify the new script accordingly.
You must perform the update using a command prompt. Do not use the SQL MMC (SSMS) or Powershell.
This step assumes you run the command prompt logged in on the Nodinite server with the Install and Update Tool. It is possible to copy the DACPAC file to another server and adjust folder paths provided to suit the target environment.
- Open an administrative command prompt as either the account running the Logging Service or with another account with at least equal rights or an account part of the SYSADMIN fixed server role on the SQL instance with the Log Databases to update.
- Paste the command string from step 2 and press enter.
You should see text rolling on the screen as the update progresses, this process may take seconds for small databases up to hour(s) for large databases or SQL Servers with poor disk IO performance.
- Repeat "Step 2" and "this Step" for all Log Databases listed for an update (with the Manual Update button).
The Configuration Database may be in the list with the Manual Update button. NOTE: This database is usually updated by the system during the update process. Use the script only if there's problem executing the update from the Install and Update Tool.
- You may need to perform a shrink operation, make sure to review the allocated disk space on your SQL Server instance with the updated Nodinite Log Databases.
There are many reasons why the system cannot update the Log Databases automatically as part of the update process; there may be multiple Log Databases scattered over several SQL Server instances, even on different networks running with a plethora of different security-related account settings. Also, these Log Databases may be very large; rebuilding indexes, changing tables, and more can take hours to complete. Since the Install and Update Tool is a Web-based interface, there is no way of keeping a responsive GUI. Therefore, all in all, you must update Nodinite Log Databases manually.
The following problems are common:
- The path to the SqlPackage.exe is wrong (The path set with the version found on the server with the Install and Update Tool).
- The path to the .DACPAC file is wrong (The path sets with the unpacked file on the server with the Install and Update Tool).
- You do not have sufficient rights to modify the Log Databases.