If possible; You should use the newer and more structured Custom Metadata feature. Custom Fields should only be used for the "special" cases.
Use Custom Fields to document your Repository Model model and provide useful information to key stakeholders when needed the most.
- Single-value attribute from list
- Multi-value attributes from list
- Dynamically (loaded from plugin)
- Files (word documents, images, zip files, ...)
Nodinite comes pre-loaded with plugins for most common scenarios. Custom fields can be Set, re-used and assigned on each of the artifacts in the Repository Model model.
The lists are "global" but a different set of values can be used on the artifacts of the Repository Model model.
- Integration "INT001" with Custom Field "Technical Contacts" can have Henrik and Michael assigned
- Integration "INT002" with Custom Field "Technical Contacts" can have only Henrik assigned
- Integration "INT003" with Custom Field "Technical Contacts" can have Henrik, Andreas and Michael assigned
TIP: Use Custom Fields to provide any piece of information that you may share with your organization. This is Key to a successful support and maintenance service.
Use when there can only be one value selected for the Custom Field. A good example would be SLA Level. It is not logical to assign more than exactly one value for this kind of Custom Field. Selected Value example from list (Gold, Silver, Bronze) could be Gold.
Use when there can be more than one value selected for the Custom Field. A good example would be Technical Contact. It is logical to assign more than one value for this kind of Custom Field. Selected Value example from list (Michael, Henrik, Andreas) could be Michael and Andreas.
When Nodinite is about to render the Repository Model tab in the Web Client the Custom Field plugin is fed with all available data from Monitoring or Logging. The plugin can therefore hold logic to access web services, databases to return the value for the Custom Field at run-time.
- One example could be for logged orders where the temperature of the destined City is displayed
- Another example could be a generated link to some documentation web site (WIKI/Sharepoint) based on provided data
Any file can be uploaded. Images will be displayed in the Web Client. Since there can be multiple files and potentially large files; email alerts are sent with links to these files. This is done to conserve bandwidth and the behaviour is by design.